Last year in the run-up to Valentine’s Day I wrote about the most romantic travel destinations in the world. This year I’m bringing it home to Blighty to share my secrets about the most romantic locations in London. From the restaurant that will inspire love to the perfect spot for a kiss, here’s my list of the 14 most romantic places in London, just in time for February 14th…

Most Romantic Places in London

Most Romantic Places in London

The most romantic places in London are:
1. St Pancras
12. Regent’s Park
13. V&A
14. Hampshire

Read on for details…

Pink Mews House in London

Most Romantic Place for a Kiss in London

There’s nothing like a kiss to bring a little romance to an evening. If you’re like me, most of your kisses happen under the awkwardly bright fluorescent lights of London’s tube stations at the end of semi-disappointing online dates. But if you’re luckier than I, they could happen under the famous 30-foot (9-meter) sculpture of a couple embracing in St Pancras station. Because nothing says romance like the golden age of train travel, and nowhere tricks Londoners into believing we’re still in it than the most beautiful station in the city.

The Meeting Place Sculpture in St Pancras in London

Most Romantic Place for a Walk in London

It’s no secret that I’m obsessed with London’s mews streets, and these pretty little lanes are the perfect places for romantic strolls (and clandestine kisses!). My favorite is Kynance Mews in Kensington, but there are plenty of others to explore, too.

Kynance Mews in London

Most Romantic Restaurant in London

Soho’s Andrew Edmunds is an establishment in London, and for good reason. Set in an 18th century townhouse, the candlelit restaurant’s warm ambiance and great sense of history inspire love. I went here on a date a few years ago, and I still consider it the most romantic restaurant in London.

Most Romantic Pub in London

The tiny wooden alcoves in the back of the Fox & Anchor pub in Clerkenwell are my favorite places for a secluded meal away from prying eyes. With the intimate feel of a confessional and the cozy comfort of pub food, they’re just the spot for falling in love over a plate of fish and chips (or with one, if you’re like me).

Fox and Anchor Pub in London

Most Romantic Hotel Bar in London

I fell in love with the Connaught hotel before I ever set foot inside. The name alone oozes luxury, and my first trip to the hotel’s Connaught Bar solidified it as one of my favorite places for a drink in London. That’s not least because the bar has a secluded, mysterious air to it that makes it the perfect place for a clandestine rendez-vous over a round of classic cocktails or a glass of champagne served in one of their gorgeous etched coupes.

Connaught Bar in London

Most Romantic Place to Whisper Sweet Nothings in London

There’s nothing like whispering sweet nothings in your lover’s ear, but when said ear is 110 feet (33 meters) away it can be a challenge. Enter the Whispering Gallery in the dome of St Paul’s Cathedral, where lovers can stand on opposite sides and still hear each other’s words. Just remember to keep those words clean, kids. This is a church.

St Paul's Cathedral in London

Most Romantic Theater Production in London

A bittersweet love story set to music, Once is the perfect production to fall in love to. The story of an Irish boy and a Czech girl who find themselves growing ever more attracted to one another in spite of imminent separation, it’s a great musical to see if you’re feeling hopelessly romantic.

Most Romantic Lovers’ Arch in London

Kensington Palace Gardens is one of my favorite places to wander in London, not least because of the lovers’ arch that borders the flower beds in front of the royal residence. The vines form the perfect ellipse for romantic strolls (and maybe a secret kiss or two) in Will and Kate’s back yard.

Kensington Palace Gardens in London

Most Romantic View in London

There’s nothing like a beautiful view to inspire romance, and the one from the top of Greenwich Park is unrivaled in London. Heading up the hill with a lover to soak up the sprawling green lawn and Palladian architecture of Greenwich will put stars even in the eyes of the most jaded Londoner.

Greenwich Park in London

Most Romantic Place to Win Back Your Ex in London

We all have a “one that got away”, and no shortage of people have imagined scenarios in which they win him or her back. Thankfully, the film industry has given us a ‘real’ example in Julia Roberts’ character in Notting Hill. She shows us that we can all win back our Hugh Grant in what used to be the famous travel bookstore in Notting Hill. In case you’ve forgotten, it’s “I’m just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.” If he doesn’t fall for that, he’s an idiot. Like Hugh Grant. Or his character. Or both. Even I wouldn’t cheat on Liz Hurley.

Most Romantic Place for Post-Wedding Bliss in London

In a move that mixes London’s nostalgia for the classic Routemaster bus and the need for mass transport at weddings, many of London’s old Routemasters have been converted into Wedding Specials. Nothing says love in London like sharing a post-nuptial kiss on the city’s most beloved mode of transportation.

Wedding Routemaster Bus in London

Most Romantic Garden in London

If Valentine’s Day is any indication, roses are the perfect flower for telling that special someone how much you care (and how much money you’re willing to shell out on overpriced imports from Kenya). If just a bouquet isn’t enough, Queen Mary’s Gardens in Regent’s Park feature more than 12,000 of the flowers, and are the perfect place for a romantic stroll through the largest collection of roses in London. It might be worth waiting a few months, though. It’s seriously cold out there right now.

Regents Park in London

Most Romantic Room in a London Museum

The William and Judith Bollinger Jewellery Gallery in the Victoria & Albert museum in South Kensington has enough giant gems to keep even the most museum-phobic lover’s eyes sparkling in wonder. The room has 3,500 jewels, including diamonds worn by Catherine the Great of Russia and tiaras fashioned by Cartier. If you’re working your way to your Big Day, you can even use the room’s computers to design a ring inspired by the collection. Just make sure you have the cash to buy that giant gem to go in the middle.

Victoria and Albert Museum in London

Most Romantic Weekend Away from London

My favorite hotel in the UK is Lime Wood in Hampshire. There’s no better romantic getaway than a weekend break in the beautiful surroundings of the New Forest, and no wiser way to get in the mood than a bath in one of the elegant stand-alone tubs that sit in the middle of the guest rooms. Love.

Bathtub at Lime Wood Hotel in Hampshire

How about you? What do you think are the most romantic places in London?

Most Romantic Places in London

50 Comments on Lady’s 14 Most Romantic Places in London

1. Marta A Bilingual Baby blog
    February 9, 2015 at 6:04 am (2 years ago)

Great post! I love Londond and would love to visit these romantic spots! Thanks for the tips!

February 9, 2015 at 8:37 am (2 years ago)

You’re welcome! I hope you get a chance to visit them sometime!

2. Sara @ Simply Sara Travel
    February 9, 2015 at 9:41 am (2 years ago)

Lovely post! I love the Kensington Palace Gardens too – great pick for a romantic stroll! And that hotel bar looks straight out of a movie!

3. Cherie City
    February 9, 2015 at 1:38 pm (2 years ago)

Great suggestions, the Fox & Anchor is so cosy and romantic. That pink house is so pretty.

February 9, 2015 at 2:04 pm (2 years ago)

Thanks! Yeah, I love the Fox & Anchor.

4. Manasi Kumar
    February 9, 2015 at 2:34 pm (2 years ago)

My (now) husband proposed under the clock at Waterloo since it’s where we met up for our first date, so that has a lot of romantic memories despite it being a busy train station!

February 9, 2015 at 3:50 pm (2 years ago)

Wow, that’s great! What a memorable place to propose!

5. Kasha
    February 9, 2015 at 9:38 pm (2 years ago)

You’ve given me some serious inspiration here, Julie! I’d never even heard of half of these London spots, and Lime Wood looks divine.

6. Bo
    February 9, 2015 at 10:45 pm (2 years ago)

Very romantic post! I felt in love in it! Next time I will try to visit some of these places! Thanks for sharing us.

Greetings

7. Brenna
    February 9, 2015 at 11:14 pm (2 years ago)

“If youโ€™re like me, most of your kisses happen under the awkwardly bright fluorescent lights of Londonโ€™s tube stations at the end of semi-disappointing online dates.” HAH – I’m right there with you. This is a great post, though… I’m going to head to some of these places regardless of my relationship status!

February 10, 2015 at 9:49 am (2 years ago)

Glad you can relate! I hope you have fun exploring!

8. Mike
    February 10, 2015 at 6:19 am (2 years ago)

What a fun post to read, Julie! I have no problems with pda’s but as for romantic kisses – under a statue would not be my first choice lol. Now, by a fireplace, or at candle light, sunset, with a view of a city light up at night. Absolutely! There is definitely no shortage of places to meet everyone’s romantic needs in London with this encyclopedia of suggestions. You rocked it ๐Ÿ™‚

9. jaklien
    February 10, 2015 at 9:19 am (2 years ago)

Great post and lovely spots I have yet to discover. Now all I need is a man!! ๐Ÿ˜‰

10. Andrea
    February 10, 2015 at 11:18 am (2 years ago)

Loved reading this! Cant wait to explore some of the Mews streets!

11. Elizabeth
    February 10, 2015 at 6:40 pm (2 years ago)

We will definitely be hitting Kensington Gardens and the park at Greenwich! Thank you for another great post. ๐Ÿ™‚

12. Meghan Silva
    February 10, 2015 at 8:21 pm (2 years ago)

Totally bookmarking this for future travels.

Meg

13. Lolly
    February 12, 2015 at 7:49 pm (2 years ago)

Great piece Julie. Our daughter and her husband will be in London in June for their second anniversary! Forwarding this to them now!!!

Jill

February 13, 2015 at 8:55 am (2 years ago)

Thanks! I hope they have a great trip!

14. Stephanie
    February 12, 2015 at 8:16 pm (2 years ago)

Never thought that there is something like the โ€œmost romantic pubโ€ but I will check this with my bf ;D And a weekend in Lime Wood is now a must โ€“ so clean and simple ๐Ÿ™‚

15. Linda Bibb
    February 15, 2015 at 6:44 pm (2 years ago)

What a wonderful collection of romantic places. Most of them are new to me, which just means I have a lot of places to take my honey to the next time we’re in London.

February 15, 2015 at 8:06 pm (2 years ago)

Thanks! I’m glad you like it. Enjoy exploring them!

16. Mark
    February 20, 2015 at 11:36 pm (2 years ago)

This is an awesome list! I’ve visited some of these sites and look forward to checking out the rest next time around.

17. Alan
    February 23, 2015 at 5:45 pm (2 years ago)

Alexandra palace (Ali-Pali) in North London is also good for a romantic view of the city…if the weather allows it ๐Ÿ™‚

February 24, 2015 at 8:39 am (2 years ago)

Yeah, that’s true! I also like the view from Parliament Hill in Hampstead Heath.

18. Gwen
    February 25, 2015 at 9:16 am (2 years ago)

Love love love this post! Just moved to London about a month ago Amanda have yet to check these places out cannot wait till it gets warm!

19. Packing my Suitcase
    February 27, 2015 at 4:14 pm (2 years ago)

Such a wonderful post!!! I expect to visit at least half of them on my next trip to London! So sweet… great idea to share this with us.

20. M
    August 4, 2015 at 12:06 am (2 years ago)

Where exactly is the arch in Kensington Palace gardens?

August 4, 2015 at 7:22 am (2 years ago)

It’s in the manicured gardens right in front of the palace.

21. Liz Amaral
    February 12, 2016 at 11:00 pm (1 year ago)

Terrific information. Thank you.

22. Natalya
    February 25, 2016 at 9:46 pm (1 year ago)

Hi! Another great post, Julie! I would add another romantic restaurant in London, it is called Clos Maggiore, it is beautiful! In fact, the whole area to the list: Covent Garden with its beautiful live music in the market, boutiques, street performances, cobbled streets. I hope you agree!
    Natalya

23. Monika
    October 1, 2016 at 5:10 am (9 months ago)

Wow, what an amazing blog with the beautiful location! And glad to find it. Actually, me and my hubby planning of making a tour to enjoy with the best places in London. Now I have decided to go “Kensington Palace Gardens” first.

24. Kim
    November 15, 2016 at 2:22 pm (7 months ago)

What a great article…I’ll be traveling to London in January (2017) to visit my boyfriend – and hope to visit some of these spots. Thank you!

November 15, 2016 at 3:28 pm (7 months ago)

That’s great! I hope you have a good time.

25. Carrie C
    March 28, 2017 at 9:28 pm (3 months ago)

Me and my husband are planning a trip to London for our 10 year anniversary from Austin, TX. I am pinning this page for sure on tips and ideas to make it romantic!

I am looking to surprise him with something special while there, but have no clue what. Do you have any good ideas? Something planned and set up, so its all ready when we arrive ๐Ÿ™‚

March 29, 2017 at 10:39 am (3 months ago)

Sounds like a great trip! Hopefully you’ll find some good ideas in this blog post and others.