When I first moved to London I asked a friend where to take a day trip. “Greenwich,” she replied. “As in Greenwich Mean Time?” I asked. “Yep.” “Where is that?” I asked her. “East,” she said. “Like in Kent?” I asked. “Haha, no, like in London,” she laughed. In all my years of learning about longitude and prime meridians, I had never realized that Greenwich was an actual place and that said place was right in London.

Cutty Sark Masts in Greenwich, London

But it is, and as I discovered, it is well worth a visit. In fact, I have been to Greenwich a few times since starting the A Lady in London blog. The most recent time was on Monday. Taking advantage of the bank holiday weekend and the sunny weather, I decided to take a day trip out east.

Dome in Greenwich, London

Remembering that one of the best ways to get to Greenwich was by boat, I hopped on the Thames Clipper at Embankment Pier and settled in for a sunny cruise down the river. 45 minutes and some great sightseeing later, I got off at Greenwich Pier and found myself face-to-keel with the Cutty Sark.

Cutty Sark in Greenwich

The historic merchant ship suffered from a fire the year I moved to London, and this was the first time I had seen it since it reopened last year. Its tall masts rose high into the sky and its hull was suspended in a glass sea.

Figureheads in the Cutty Sark in Greenwich

I toured the Cutty Sark thanks to a ticket the National Maritime Museum gave me. I learned all about the ship’s involvement in the tea and wool trades, and got a peek into the world of the sailors that lived on board.

Opium Wars Exhibit at the Cutty Sark in Greenwich

From the Cutty Sark I walked over to the Old Royal Naval College, a beautiful double-domed masterpiece by Sir Christopher Wren (of St Paul’s Cathedral fame). Inside the Painted Hall were sumptuous interiors replete with color and gilding on every imaginable surface.

Old Royal Naval College in Greenwich, London

Across the street and over the lawn sat the Queen’s House, a stunning example of Palladian architecture by Inigo Jones. Inside were the famous Tulip Stairs, a snail shell-shaped spiral all done in black and white. The house was home to several collections of maritime art, one of which included J.M.W. Turner’s largest oil painting, The Battle of Trafalgar.

Tulip Staircase at the Queen's House in Greenwich

Down a colonnaded walkway was the National Maritime Museum, a grand space with a variety of galleries showcasing everything from historic figureheads to maritime history in different regions of the world. It even had one of Nelson’s original military jackets on display.

Golden Lions at the National Maritime Museum in London

Up the hill from the museum was the Greenwich Royal Observatory, home of the Prime Meridian and Greenwich Mean Time. With thanks again to a ticket provided by the museum, I explored several galleries full of telescopes, clocks, and historical gadgets designed to measure longitude at sea.

Royal Observatory in Greenwich, London

I also got to stand with one foot on either side of the Prime Meridian, which was even more exciting than the time I stood with one foot on either side of the California-Nevada border (seriously!).

Prime Meridian in Greenwich, London

After a full day of sightseeing in Greenwich, I was exhausted. But a reward came in the form of the best view in London, a panoramic scene of the beautiful park and museums below.

View of Greenwich

It was the perfect way to end a day trip to Greenwich, and made me thankful once again that my friend had enlightened me as to its location when I moved to London all those years ago.

27 Comments on Lady in Maritime Greenwich

1. Sara
    August 29, 2013 at 2:27 pm (4 years ago)

Love Greenwich! It’s such a wonderful day trip place for people in London. My last visit there, the ship was still under work. I’m glad to see it has reopened!

August 29, 2013 at 3:02 pm (4 years ago)

Yeah, I definitely recommend visiting the Cutty Sark now that it’s open again!

2. Rachael
    August 29, 2013 at 2:32 pm (4 years ago)

What gorgeous photographs and that view of London from Greenwich is beautiful. I particularly love that staircase – how very elegant!

3. Kristi
    August 29, 2013 at 2:47 pm (4 years ago)

I loved reading about your trip to Greenwich! I am coming to London in October and definitely plan to visit Greenwich.

It’s my first time in London – do you think I should take the Thames Clipper or one of the tourist river cruise boats? Can I have the same sightseeing experience on the Clipper at a fraction of the price?

August 29, 2013 at 3:03 pm (4 years ago)

That’s great! I’ve never done one of the tourist boats, so I’m not sure how they compare to the clipper.

• Shereen Travels Cheap
      August 29, 2013 at 5:08 pm (4 years ago)

Kristi, we did both while we were there, but the Clipper was part of our London Pass at the time. If you don’t care about what every building is along the Thames and just want a relaxing view of London, then I think the Clipper is the way to go.

4. Pam
    August 29, 2013 at 4:31 pm (4 years ago)

I remember going there and standing on the prime meridian line when I was 13 and it has stuck with me ever since. I forgot that view from up there though..so pretty!

August 30, 2013 at 7:14 am (4 years ago)

That’s great that you did it, too. Such a fun memory!

5. Shereen Travels Cheap
    August 29, 2013 at 5:00 pm (4 years ago)

Greenwich was one of my favorite days in London. The weather was great and it’s so relaxing there. When we visited they had a gallery of Princess Di photos which were amazing. Loved it.

August 30, 2013 at 7:15 am (4 years ago)

That’s great! I’m glad you had a good time there!

6. Jules
    August 30, 2013 at 7:44 pm (4 years ago)

I don’t go to Greenwich all that often (eventhough I live 20 minutes away) but never regret it when I do and have to keep asking myself why I don’t go more often! Lovely photos!

September 1, 2013 at 8:48 am (4 years ago)

Yeah, I always feel like I should go to Greenwich more, too! I hope you get there soon!

7. Andi
    August 31, 2013 at 2:43 am (4 years ago)

I love that staircase shot!

8. Kat S
    September 2, 2013 at 6:46 am (4 years ago)

Oh my, I think this will be on the agenda next weekend. Thanks for the recommendation πŸ™‚ x

September 2, 2013 at 7:19 am (4 years ago)

You’re welcome! Glad it inspired you!

9. Sand In My Suitcase
    September 4, 2013 at 3:30 pm (4 years ago)

Sounds like you had a great “time” in Greenwich… We enjoy reading your London posts.

10. Lauren Meshkin @BonVoyageLauren
    September 4, 2013 at 11:01 pm (4 years ago)

I really enjoyed my day in Greenwich last year. However, it ended up being a rainy afternoon and I didn’t end up seeing as much as I wanted. I loved the Painted Hall! That’s a hard place to forget. I love the last picture. I’m eager to return!

Happy travels πŸ™‚

September 5, 2013 at 7:22 am (4 years ago)

That’s too bad about the rain, but I’m glad you had a good time!

11. Becca Louisa
    September 4, 2013 at 11:14 pm (4 years ago)

I am moving to Greenwich soon! So super excited as it’s such a lovely place!! πŸ™‚ great to see that it has featured on your blog!! It was great to meet you last night, even if it was rather brief! Glad to see you got the pages in your passport today – Africa here you come!! xx

September 5, 2013 at 7:22 am (4 years ago)

That’s great that you’re going to be living in Greenwich! It was lovely to meet you, too!

12. Mimi
    September 20, 2013 at 1:42 am (4 years ago)

Any tips on places for lunch in Greenwich? I’m visiting in a couple of weeks.

September 20, 2013 at 7:22 am (4 years ago)

Definitely go to the covered market for lunch. It has so many good options you’ll agonize over which to choose!

13. cristina
    May 13, 2016 at 8:42 am (1 year ago)

Bellissime veramente le foto ….londra e’ splendida dappertutto……cristina ciao.