Happy Valentine’s Day! I hope you have romantic plans this weekend, whether they are with the love of your life or a room full of potentially attractive strangers. If not, perhaps I can bring you some inspiration in the form of my true love: travel. After visiting 95 countries, these are my top 10 romantic travel destinations around the world.

Bouquet of Pink Roses

The Maldives

The Maldives is the most romantic place I have ever been to. Overwater bungalows, pink and orange sunsets, and romantic dinners in the warm Indian Ocean air make it the perfect place for a romantic getaway or honeymoon. Read my blog post about the Maldives here.

W Hotel in the Maldives

Venice

Steeped in history and full of narrow passageways leading to secret bridges and pretty canals, Venice is the perfect place to get lost in loveโ€”both literally and metaphorically. A starlit gondola ride is the pinnacle of romance here. Read my blog post about Venice here.

Gondolas in Venice

Madagascar

For the wild at heart, Madagascar is the perfect place to have a romantic adventure. From lounging on white sand beaches to feeding lemurs and diving in crystal clear water, the country’s natural highlights are both unparalleled and inspirational. Read my blog post about Madagascar here.

Beach on Tsarabanjina Island in Madagascar

Cyprus

The birthplace of Aphrodite, Cyprus is not only a romantic travel destination, but the home of love itself. Pretty coastline, mountain wineries, and delicious Mediterranean food make it the perfect place to celebrate that special someone in your life. Read my blog post about Cyprus here.

Birthplace of Aphrodite in Cyprus

Bali

The most romantic hotel I have ever stayed in is Hotel Tugu in Bali. Set on a black sand beach, the lush gardens and museum-like public rooms all have little tables where guests can eat at any time, making each meal feel like it could be straight out of a movie.

Hotel Tugu in Bali

The Atacama Desert

Chile’s Atacama Desert features spectacular mountain scenery and flamingo-studded salt flats. Horseback riding and stargazing round out the romance in a place so high it almost touches heaven. Read my blog post about the Atacama Desert here.

Flamingo in the Atacama Desert

The Philippines

The Philippines has the most beautiful sunsets I’ve ever seen, and desert islands to enjoy them from. Stunning natural beauty and great diving make it the perfect romantic destination for lovers of all kinds. Read my blog post about the Philippines here.

Sunset in Panglao, Philippines

Carmel

There’s no place like home, and California’s coast is one of the most romantic places I’ve ever visited. Carmel’s pretty village atmosphere, wide sandy beaches, and famous local wine make it the best place to stop on a romantic drive down the state’s famous Highway 1. Read my blog post about Carmel here.

Beach in Carmel, California

Mozambique

Sitting like teardrops in the Indian Ocean, Mozambique’s islands are some of the remotest and most private places in the world. Like Zanzibar without tourists, they are some of the best places for a secluded romantic getaway in Africa. Read my blog post about Mozambique here.

Island in Mozambique

Paris

As far as cities go, Paris inspires romance like no other. The wide boulevards, world-class museums, and French joie de vivre make it one of the best cities to fall in love in…or with. Read my blog post about Paris here.

Sculpture in Paris

So how about you? What are your top romantic travel destinations?

34 Comments on Lady’s Top Romantic Travel Destinations

1. Jacintha @urbanpixxels
    February 14, 2014 at 8:21 am (3 years ago)

Valentine’s Day or not, these destinations seem like a good idea anytime! I’ve only been to Venice, Paris and The Philippines. Hope to add the other ones to my own list soon!

February 14, 2014 at 8:23 am (3 years ago)

Yeah, they are all great! I hope you get to visit the rest!

2. Shikha (whywasteannualleave)
    February 14, 2014 at 10:15 am (3 years ago)

I absolutely loved the Maldives – to date, the nicest beaches I’ve ever seen but you’ve covered 2 other places I desperately want to go to – Mozambique and Bali! Luck you!!

February 14, 2014 at 10:37 am (3 years ago)

I’m glad you like the Maldives as much as I do. I hope you get to the others someday. They are both amazing!

3. Angie
    February 14, 2014 at 10:22 am (3 years ago)

What wonderfully inspiring and beautiful places. A good mix of romantic seclusion and busy cities.

4. Haute Compass
    February 14, 2014 at 4:07 pm (3 years ago)

The hotel in Bali looks amazing! Would so much like to go to Bali. With regards to fave romantic places I would say French Polynesia and also Florence are pretty romanic too!

February 14, 2014 at 5:28 pm (3 years ago)

Yeah, those are both really romantic places!

5. Heather
    February 14, 2014 at 4:24 pm (3 years ago)

Beautiful! I could really do with some warm sandy beaches and crystal clear water right about now.

February 14, 2014 at 5:29 pm (3 years ago)

Me too! It’s pouring in London right now!

6. Renuka
    February 15, 2014 at 4:46 am (3 years ago)

My favorite romantic destination has to be Udaipur in India. ๐Ÿ™‚ I agree, Venice and Maldives can be highly romantic too.

February 16, 2014 at 8:37 am (3 years ago)

I love Udaipur, too! It’s such a beautiful city!

7. Jessica - Notes of Nomads
    February 16, 2014 at 5:50 pm (3 years ago)

A great selection of destinations here! I’d have to say Japan during cherry blossom season would be one of my favourites – just beautiful!

February 16, 2014 at 7:32 pm (3 years ago)

Yeah, I would love to visit Japan during cherry blossom season! I’m sure it would be amazing!

8. Rosie
    February 16, 2014 at 8:18 pm (3 years ago)

You have been to some amazing places! I went to Edinburgh when it was really snowing and it was beautifully romantic ๐Ÿ™‚ x

9. Emma Berry
    February 16, 2014 at 8:26 pm (3 years ago)

Paris is definitely up there for me! I’m not a fan of heat but I would love to visit Berlin and Sweden – both romantic in my eyes! x

February 16, 2014 at 8:34 pm (3 years ago)

Yeah, those are both great places to travel!

10. Emma
    February 17, 2014 at 7:48 am (3 years ago)

What amazing opportunities being a travel writer opens up for you –
    How did I end up being a teacher – the most I can hope for is a visit to the local museum!!

Emma ๐Ÿ™‚

February 17, 2014 at 8:17 am (3 years ago)

I have a good friend that is both a teacher and a travel blogger, so hopefully there is scope for you to do both ๐Ÿ™‚

11. Pam
    February 17, 2014 at 8:40 pm (3 years ago)

i’ve only been to 3 of these places. I think I have to add some to my future travel wish list!

February 17, 2014 at 10:06 pm (3 years ago)

Yeah, I hope you get to visit some more of them!

12. David Ridings
    February 17, 2014 at 10:38 pm (3 years ago)

I am in the process of organising my honeymoon so a timely post. Thanks for writing.
    David

13. Corinne
    February 18, 2014 at 10:13 am (3 years ago)

Love your photos….I’d love to travel to all these places for romance or just plain fun!

14. Mark Danny
    February 24, 2014 at 7:13 pm (3 years ago)

A great list of the best romantic travel destination. All are such a wonderful destination where can spend a great time with partner. Such type of destinations will be perfect for honeymoon trip.

15. Ashton
    March 13, 2014 at 6:59 pm (3 years ago)

Valentine’s or no Valentine’s, a great list of exotic destinations for a bit of romance. Loved Cyprus last year, and Paris is obviously great for a romantic break. Need to save the pennies for something further afield now.

16. Elle Sanchez
    April 8, 2014 at 7:43 am (3 years ago)

Hi! Thanks for including the Philippines! I do agree that we have a destination for all kinds of lovers. That’s why I began a blog of my own on our romantic locations ๐Ÿ™‚ Hope you can visit and have a good read yourself. Cheerios!

Elle

17. Riza
    July 20, 2016 at 2:50 am (8 months ago)

Thanks for including Philippines, our country has a lot of beautiful places to explore and even romantic people get inspired to travel that is why I love traveling with my partner in our own country.