Last month I celebrated the five-year anniversary of running the A Lady in London blog full time. This month I’ve discovered another area of media that is commemorating some exciting milestones in 2015: film. Given there’s no better place to explore the movie industry than Hollywood, I hopped over to Los Angeles to get an inside look at three famous films that are celebrating big anniversaries this year. Here’s what I found…

Film Sculpture at Universal Studios in Los Angeles

Clueless – 20 Year Anniversary

I’ll never forget the year Clueless came out. I had just become a teenager and not only did I idolize Alicia Silverstone, but I also found myself in awe of her character Cher’s Beverly Hills lifestyle. Never mind that she was—as the name of the film implies—clueless. I wanted to be her.

Louis Vuitton on Rodeo Drive

Fast forward two decades, and I find myself on Via Rodeo in Beverly Hills just in time for the 20th anniversary of Clueless. In front of me are the steps that Cher walked down in the movie while thinking about Josh, her step-brother (and later crush). I may not be wearing the same designer clothes she was or looking quite as impeccable as she did, but I can still pretend to have her life as I descend the steps onto Wilshire Boulevard.

Steps on Via Rodeo from Clueless

Pretty Woman – 25 Year Anniversary

And once I do, I find myself face-to-face with the Beverly Wilshire Hotel. While famous in its own right for being one of one of LA’s best known luxury hotels, it’s also the filming location for much of Pretty Woman. And it just so happens that Pretty Woman is celebrating an anniversary of its own this year—25 years.

Beverly Wilshire Hotel in Los Angeles

It’s hard to believe that it’s been so long since Julia Roberts and Richard Gere won our hearts as the unlikely prostitute-and-businessman couple of Vivian and Edward, but as I watch the film while getting a mani/pedi at the hotel’s Nail Bar—they’ve invited me to play pretty woman for the afternoon—I’m reminded of how the film never gets old.

Nail Bar at the Beverly Wilshire Hotel in Los Angeles

Over lunch in the Beverly Wilshire’s THE Blvd restaurant, I recall the scene where Vivian and Edward have dinner with his business contacts. She struggled with complicated cutlery and exotic escargot, but I have the luxury of choosing my own meal, which happens to be a delicious, easy-to-eat piece of salmon that makes me relieved to avoid any breaches of table etiquette.

Lunch at the Beverly Wilshire Hotel in Los Angeles

Back to the Future – 30 Year Anniversary

Back outside, I get on my shiny new hoverboard and make my way over to Universal Studios Hollywood. How did I get a hoverboard, you ask? It’s 2015. Everyone has them now. Just watch Back to the Future Part II. The “future” is set in 2015.

Universal Studios in Los Angeles

Coincidentally, the first Back to the Future film is celebrating its 30th anniversary this year. Also set in this part of California, the movie has some pretty famous props. Namely, the aforementioned hoverboard and the DeLorean time machine. The latter is still around, and can be seen up close at Universal Studios. I head down to the Lower Lot, pressing my nose against the glass as I stand in awe of the most famous car of 1985.

DeLorean from Back to the Future at Universal Studios in LA

Universal Studios has also set me up with a Front of Line Pass pass that allows me to get to the front of any ride’s line at the park. After seeing the DeLorean, I head to the Studio Tour, the trolley ride through the Backlot where I can see Back to the Future‘s famous Hill Valley Courthouse Square and several non-time-traveling cars from the movie, including Biff’s shiny black Ford Super De Luxe.

Courthouse Square from Back to the Future at Universal Studios in Los Angeles

After seeing so many sights from LA’s classic films, I can’t help feeling that my blog is in good company as it celebrates a big anniversary this year. People may never come to London to walk in my footsteps (although that would be pretty amazing), but they can certainly come to A Lady in London to learn about how to walk in Cher’s, Vivian’s, and Marty McFly’s.

18 Comments on Lady Celebrates Los Angeles Film Anniversaries

1. Jacintha
    February 12, 2015 at 7:35 am (2 years ago)

Clueless came out 20 years ago?! I feel so old now. Loved that movie and since we’re being honest here…I wanted to be her too :-).

February 12, 2015 at 8:43 am (2 years ago)

Haha, yeah, I was shocked to learn that it has been 20 years, too! I’m glad I wasn’t alone in wanting to be Cher!

2. Sarah | The Wanderblogger
    February 12, 2015 at 8:05 am (2 years ago)

We must be right around the same age! I was 12 when Clueless came out and watched it so many times over the following 4-5 years that I’m pretty sure I could still quote the whole movie now even though I haven’t seen it in awhile. 🙂

The thing that surprises me is that Pretty Woman came out only five years before Clueless. I watched that one as a teen a lot, too, but always thought it was an “old” movie. Maybe it was because the characters were so much older than I was.

February 12, 2015 at 8:45 am (2 years ago)

Yeah, that’s so true! They seem like they were made at least ten years apart.

3. Jennifer @ This Off Script Life
    February 12, 2015 at 10:39 am (2 years ago)

I love all three of these movies! When I went to Rodeo Drive and Wilshire Boulevard, I immediately thought of ‘Clueless’ and ‘Pretty Woman’ too. And, like Jacintha, I can’t believe ‘Clueless’ is 20 years old this year. How did that happen?

February 12, 2015 at 11:33 am (2 years ago)

Yeah, they’re three of my favorites, too. I completely agree about it being hard to believe that Clueless is already 20!

4. Lauren Meshkin @BonVoyageLauren
    February 13, 2015 at 12:15 am (2 years ago)

Wow! How early did you get to Rodeo Drive to snap those photos with almost no one in them?! Haha. Also, I have a confession… I’ve never seen Clueless! I just searched and it’s on Netflix so I know what my plans are for the evening!

Happy travels 🙂

February 13, 2015 at 8:55 am (2 years ago)

I was there at 11am, and was really surprised that it was so empty. It was a Monday, though, so maybe everyone was at work! I hope you enjoy watching Clueless!

5. Mike
    February 13, 2015 at 4:14 am (2 years ago)

Ha, another reason you and I are blogger friends, Julie!! I love Pretty Woman…yep a guy saying that…and I’ve watched it a gazillion times (I own the Blu-ray). Now, Back To The Future (and the following sequels) gets into Mike’s Holy Grail of movies! A gal and I went on our first date (a drive-in in the back of my truck – for..you know!) on July 3, 1985 – opening night! She ended up becoming my fiance’! I actually wrote about that night and it remains my Best Date Ever! Great memories and thank you! 🙂

February 13, 2015 at 8:56 am (2 years ago)

Wow, what a great story! That’s an amazing way to remember the opening night of Back to the Future.

6. Bo
    February 13, 2015 at 11:47 pm (2 years ago)

Hi Lady, it’s my first time reading your blog On my Mobile, the design is very responsive! Great! Congrats!

going back to your interesting post, let me say your accounts of the movies reminded me all that I watched before at the cinema and ️at home, especially Pretty Woman (I Love Julia Roberts) and Back to the Future ( is incridible) . Thanks for sharing Us. Best

7. Jo
    February 14, 2015 at 7:58 am (2 years ago)

Love this! And I still cannot believe there is only a 5 year difference between Pretty Lady in London and Clueless, they were two different eras in such a very short time span!

February 14, 2015 at 10:16 am (2 years ago)

Yeah, it’s really hard to believe!

8. Pam Green
    February 14, 2015 at 11:09 pm (2 years ago)

I love The Beverly Wilshire’s restaurant and I had I believe that exact salmon dish there last June! YUM!! I didn’t know Universal Studios had the actual Delorean from Back to the Future…awesome!

February 15, 2015 at 4:50 pm (2 years ago)

That’s great! Yeah, it was really fun to see the DeLorean!

9. Amylou
    February 15, 2015 at 8:23 pm (2 years ago)

I love clueless! and Back to the future is one of my favourite films, I went to the studio tour when I was in LA last year and I loved it! I didn’t realise those films were so old though! Definitely classics!

Love Amylou x