It’s summer in London, which means two things: everyone wants to be outdoors, and everyone wants to head to the pub on sunny afternoons. Fortunately for us, there are places that combine the two quite well. Foremost among them are the city’s waterfront pubs. In celebration, today I bring you A Lady in London’s guide to the 12 best riverside pubs in London. Here they are, from east to west…

The Dickens Inn Pub, London

The Gun
Out east in Canary Wharf, The Gun is a favorite for its historic interiors and great terrace on the Thames. It’s packed on weeknights with the banking crowd, which spills out from nearby skyscrapers after work every summer evening.

The Gun Pub, London

The Narrow
Gordon Ramsay’s gastropub on the river was one of the first pubs I ever visited when I moved to London. The celebrity chef’s famous food is served both indoors and outdoors at this pub in Limehouse, drawing people from all over the city to an often overlooked part of London.

The Prospect of Whitby
The Prospect of Whitby pub in Wapping is not only London’s oldest riverside pub, but also one of its best. Full of legend and lore, the 16th century pub is said to have been visited by everyone from Samuel Pepys to Frank Sinatra. Above all, it has great ambiance to match its centuries of history.

The Prospect of Whitby Pub, London

The Mayflower
Across the river in Rotherhithe, The Mayflower pub is famous for being the place where the Pilgrims departed for America in 1620. In addition to Pilgrim-related paraphernalia over two floors, the pub has a great outdoor deck above the river. Just watch that your feet don’t get wet at high tide!

The Mayflower Pub, London

The Angel
Right down the Thames from The Mayflower is a pub called The Angel. Another of Rotherhithe’s great riverside pubs, this one has a tiny bench on the outside where a few lucky patrons can file in for a front-row seat to the boat show.

The Dickens Inn
Nearby in St Katherine Docks, The Dickens Inn isn’t technically on the Thames, but sits on the waterfront in the marina right next to it. The pub is best known for its multi-story facade, which shows off an impressively colorful array of flowers in the summer months. Its outdoor areas are great for soaking up the sun on warm days, too.

The Dickens Inn Pub, London

The Old Thameside Inn
Right next to Borough Market, Southwark Cathedral, and the Golden Hinde II, The Old Thameside Inn has a big deck on the water with great views of St Paul’s Cathedral and the skyscrapers of the City. It’s an ideal place to rest and escape the chaos and crowds of the market on sunny Saturdays.

The Old Thameside Inn, London

The Anchor
Conveniently located by Shakespeare’s Globe and London Bridge, The Anchor pub not only has a great facade with lots of bright red accents, but also a terrace on the Thames. It’s the perfect place for a pint after a day of sightseeing along the South Bank.

The Anchor Pub, London

The Founders Arms
While not as special to look at as the others on this list, The Founders Arms makes up for its lack of charm with its spectacular location. Located right in front of the Tate Modern, the pub sits on one of the most visited stretches of the Thames in central London. Get there early on a sunny day to snag a table on the terrace and watch the street performers entertain passersby.

The Founders Arms Pub, London

The Duke’s Head
South of the river in Putney, The Duke’s Head pub is famous for being the ideal location from which to start a day watching the annual Oxford and Cambridge Boat Race. But even during the rest of the year the pub is a good place to spend an afternoon spotting rowers from the nearby clubs going up and down the Thames.

The Dove
Between Hammersmith and Chiswick, The Dove is one of the best riverside pubs in London both for its location and for its history. Dating back to the 17th century, the pub was frequented by Charles II and his mistress, Nell Gwynne, and is in the Guinness Book of World Records for having the world’s smallest bar room. But the real appeal is the little deck on the river from which it’s fun to watch the boats row by.

Boat on the Thames in London

The White Cross
Way out west in Richmond, The White Cross is not only famous for its riverside location, but also for the fact that it becomes an island at high tide. If you’re brave, head over as the water rises and see how fast you can make it to land before the tide strands you. Then again, being stranded on a desert island with a pub on it wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world…

How about you? What’s your favorite riverside pub in London?

26 Comments on Lady’s 12 Best Riverside Pubs in London

1. The slow pace
    July 27, 2015 at 2:49 pm (2 years ago)

I’ve just visited the Mayflower and I really liked it, specially the cheese platters!
    xx,
    E.

July 27, 2015 at 11:40 pm (2 years ago)

That’s great! I love a good cheese platter!

2. Julie @ A Life Exotic
    July 27, 2015 at 3:31 pm (2 years ago)

I love The Anchor! I avoided going in for a while because I (wrongly) assumed that due to its location it would be fake and touristy… but I was so pleased when I finally ventured in! I watched a lot of the World Cup matches there last summer πŸ™‚ What a great list!

July 27, 2015 at 11:40 pm (2 years ago)

Nice! It always amazes me how some central London pubs can look so touristy but really be great spots for locals.

3. Marie @ To Europe And Beyond
    July 27, 2015 at 5:09 pm (2 years ago)

So much love for this post. A pint by the Thames is such an iconic London experience. I also looove The Crabtree in Fulham.

4. Jennifer @ This Off Script Life
    July 27, 2015 at 7:33 pm (2 years ago)

Another great list! I’m saving this one for my September visit to London with the hope that the weather still will be sunny and fair.

July 27, 2015 at 11:41 pm (2 years ago)

Nice! I hope the weather holds out for you!

5. Maaike - Travellous World
    July 28, 2015 at 6:40 pm (2 years ago)

Great roundup! I see many familiar names in this list. Unfortunately I was visiting St Katherine Docks in January, so couldn’t enjoy an alfresco lunch at The Dickens Inn, but I’ll definitely return for that one day πŸ™‚

July 29, 2015 at 9:40 am (2 years ago)

Thanks! Yeah, you should definitely return again in the warmer months for lunch outdoors.

6. matt
    July 29, 2015 at 2:10 am (2 years ago)

thank you for the trip to the pubs in london, I used to like doing a tour with a friend, there are more now. One of my favorite places was the Dirty Dicks. Thanks once again

July 29, 2015 at 9:40 am (2 years ago)

You’re welcome! That’s a fun pub, too.

7. Heather @ Ferreting Out the Fun
    August 5, 2015 at 8:22 am (2 years ago)

How cute are some of these places?! The Dickens Inn and the Old Thameside Inn look like they would become fast favorites.

8. Ashley Tippins
    August 5, 2015 at 7:50 pm (2 years ago)

We randomly ended up at The Dickens Inn, the Mayflower and the Anchor on our first trip to London! Really enjoyed every one of them, great recommendations!

August 6, 2015 at 3:10 pm (2 years ago)

That’s nice that you ended up at so many good pubs!

9. Elle-Rose Williams
    August 5, 2015 at 9:22 pm (2 years ago)

Some of my favourite pubs made this list (yay!) nothing nicer than a Sunday afternoon spent by the river!

10. Anna
    August 6, 2015 at 10:04 am (2 years ago)

I absolutely love all of those and will need to go to at least one the next time I go to London (September).
    Actually I will use this comment to ask 2 questions about London, if I may πŸ™‚
    1-I go to London (from Moscow) at least a couple of times per year for work. There I always work and stay in Westminster (Millbank area), which is a bit… well, rather quiet and boring. Are there cool places to grab a meal or a drink around there that you could recommend? I really like your taste in restaurants and pubs!
    2-When I do carve out a few hours for myself (Usually at 7 am…before my 11 am meetings start, or if I add on a weekend), having already taken in most landmark sights/central areas like Covent Garden, I really enjoy venturing out to different London neighborhoods, bc they are like separate towns with distinct identities. I have already explored Camden, Hampstead, Southwark, Canary Warf and East End/Shoreditch. Any recommendation on what I should check out next?
    Thanks in advance!

August 6, 2015 at 3:11 pm (2 years ago)

Thanks! Feel free to check out my restaurant and neighborhood blog posts. There are links to both on the sidebar of the blog.

11. Debbie B
    August 6, 2015 at 2:05 pm (2 years ago)

Nice list! I’ve been to quite a few of these, but will have to visit the rest before the weather turns. My husband and I did a Thames pub crawl last year, and one of my favorites was The Grapes. It was very small and quiet, but apparently Charles Dickens wrote Great Expectations in the room upstairs.

12. Emma
    August 10, 2015 at 12:46 am (2 years ago)

I’ve only made it to the Dickens Inn so far but it’s just so pretty!

13. pip
    August 10, 2015 at 9:04 am (2 years ago)

Love the Dickens Inn …looks like somewhere I’d like to go.