It’s not often I travel to the same place twice. Part of the reason I love traveling is that I enjoy discovering somewhere new every time. But sometimes a destination is so special that I can’t help going back. One such location is the Scottish Hebrides. After an amazing week sailing in the Hebrides last year, my friends and I booked ourselves in for the same week this year. So I’m off again for 7 days of sailing in the Scottish Hebrides.

7 Days Sailing in the Scottish Hebrides

7 Days Sailing in the Scottish Hebrides

Last year’s sailing trip will be hard to beat. Seven days of unstoppable sunshine, adorable puffins, and white sand beaches put the trip on a level so magical it felt like a fairytale. But I’m optimistic, and with a different itinerary we’re bound to find some new treasures in the islands.

Seals, Isle of Skye

Once again we depart from Dunstaffnage marina near Oban, this time on a beautiful Oyster 68 sailboat called Moonshadow. The owners, Colin and Pauline, are generous hosts and experienced sailors, and we know we’re in good hands for the week. We set off after a quick orientation and find ourselves heading north up the Sound of Mull.

Kilmory, Rum, Scotland

Loch Aline

Our 7 days sailing in the Scottish Hebrides start with a stop in Loch Aline. We anchor in front of the stunning Ardtornish House, and soon the magic sets in. The views are breathtaking and the weather fine, and we even see a seal playing in the water nearby.

Ardtornish House

Isle of Muck

The next morning we’re off to the Small Isles, an archipelago in the Inner Hebrides just south of the Isle of Skye.

Isle of Muck

The first island is Muck, which we discover is much lovelier than its name implies.

Lambs on the Isle of Muck

Anchoring off the south coast, we spend the afternoon walking across the island and taking in the scenery. I experience cuteness overload as spring lambs run along the beach, and my eyes delight at the sight of wild irises growing on shore. When the seals pop up to say hello, I feel like bursting into song.

Seal in the Hebrides

Isle of Rum

The following morning we sail through rain to the Isle of Rum. As we go, I laugh at how worried I was that a bit of “liquid sunshine” would spoil the trip. The weather only adds to the atmosphere, and by the time we reach Rum I’ve decided I love seeing the islands in all conditions.

Isle of Rum

We spend the next day and a half on Rum, taking in everything from the natural highlights to the constructed.

Kinloch Castle

First we tour the notorious Kinloch Castle, where the original owners are rumored to have thrown scandalous parties in the Edwardian days.

Kinloch Castle

Afterwards we take advantage of good weather and go for a walk through the fields and along the coast. We spot everything from a lone red phone box to an otter hide.

Red Phone Box on Rum

We return the next day to hike from Kinloch to Kilmory, where wild deer and turquoise water welcome us to a Scottish paradise.

Kilmory, Rum, Scotland

Isle of Canna

The next afternoon we set off on a sunny sail to Canna. Its green hills and stone buildings lure us in, and as soon as we’ve anchored we set out for a ramble.

Isle of Canna, Scotland

Around the waterfront and over the bridge to Sanday we go. We’re in search of a puffin colony on the island’s southern coast, but keep getting sidetracked by horseshoe coves and rock stacks. By evening we’ve fallen in love with the island.

Rock Stack on Sanday, Scotland

Isle of Skye

The next morning we set off for the Isle of Skye. Perhaps the most famous island in the Hebrides, it lives up to its reputation as soon as we arrive. Waterfalls zigzag down hills and the local seal population sends a delegation to greet us.

Waterfall, Isle of Skye

We anchor at Loch Scavig and quickly go ashore to walk around Loch Coruisk. Again we’re surrounded by high peaks and cascades, and I feel like I’ve fallen into a fairytale kingdom.

Loch Coruisk

Loch Nevis

The following morning we depart for Loch Nevis and mainland Scotland. It’s a sunny sail filled with leaping porpoises and sweeping views, and I don’t want it to end. But as soon as we arrive at Inverie on the Knoydart Peninsula I’m ready to explore.

House on Loch Nevis

We stop for a quick drink at the local watering hole, which claims to be “mainland Britain’s remotest pub”, then head along the shore to take in the views. The peaks around us are stunning, and the loch itself keeps drawing our eyes for another look.

Loch Nevis

Back on the boat, I watch our last sunset with a heavy heart.

Loch Nevis Sunset

The following morning we’re off to Mallaig, where our sailing trip in the Hebrides comes to an end. And as soon as it does, I’m itching to return again. And again. And again.

Have you been here? Where would you go for 7 days of sailing in the Scottish Hebrides?

7 Days Sailing in the Scottish Hebrides

22 Comments on Lady’s 7 Days Sailing in the Scottish Hebrides

1. Barry Shamplin
    June 8, 2017 at 7:44 am (2 weeks ago)

“Carry the lad that’s born to be King
    Over the sea to Muck.”
    Doesn’t have the same impact as “Skye” does it?
    Thanks for a wonderful journey through the Scottish Isles.

2. Nancy
    June 8, 2017 at 10:48 am (2 weeks ago)

Beautiful!! I went to Edinburgh and Glasgow last year but probably wild nature and stunning landscapes like these are the best part of Scotland!

June 8, 2017 at 10:52 am (2 weeks ago)

Edinburgh and Glasgow are both great, too. It’s amazing how much Scotland has to offer.

3. Amanda
    June 8, 2017 at 12:17 pm (2 weeks ago)

I absolutely loved the Scottish highlands when I went 2 years ago and have been keen to explore the islands – thanks for this -will be going on my Scotland board!!!

June 8, 2017 at 12:43 pm (2 weeks ago)

You’re welcome! I hope you enjoy visiting when you go.

4. Blaise
    June 8, 2017 at 12:25 pm (2 weeks ago)

Sounds like you had an amazing trip. Is driving around these islands and taking ferries with a car feasible or do you need to travel via a sailing excursion?

June 8, 2017 at 12:44 pm (2 weeks ago)

I know there are some ferries, but I don’t know how many of them allow cars on board.

5. Dee
    June 8, 2017 at 4:53 pm (2 weeks ago)

Love, love, love the silver sands of Mallaig! Looks like a great trip 🙂

6. Kate
    June 10, 2017 at 1:39 pm (2 weeks ago)

Love this! I have a practical question. What shoes did you wear when you were hiking arounnd?

June 12, 2017 at 6:54 am (2 weeks ago)

Thanks! I wore hiking boots, which worked perfectly.

7. Ioanna
    June 10, 2017 at 6:29 pm (2 weeks ago)

My jaw hit the floor! I visited Scotland last year, but there is just so much more to see! Your photos are gorgeous and make me want to go back and see more of the north. Thank you!

Ioanna

June 12, 2017 at 6:55 am (2 weeks ago)

You’re welcome! I hope you get a chance to explore the Hebrides sometime.

8. Danielle Theriault
    June 11, 2017 at 12:05 pm (2 weeks ago)

Your trip looks absolutely amazing! Thank you for sharing your pictures, definitely inspiration for future travels!

9. Sonya
    June 16, 2017 at 1:14 pm (1 week ago)

You’ve made amazing photos!!!! Stunning beauty! I wish one day I could visit this amazing place!

10. Greg
    June 16, 2017 at 3:49 pm (1 week ago)

Your post brings back some great memories. Once in Uni, I took a solo trip through Skye, then got even further ferries out to Stornaway in the Outer Hebrides. It is indeed a strange, fairy tale kind of place. Luckily, it looks like you got far better weather than I did. I found myself standing in the rain, hitchhiking around to different towns as there was hardly a bus system. At least people on small islands are generally more open and trusting!

June 16, 2017 at 4:29 pm (1 week ago)

Wow, sounds like an adventure! We were definitely lucky with the weather on our trip. I would love to go back and see the Outer Hebrides someday.

11. Donna
    June 23, 2017 at 7:15 pm (19 hours ago)

Was this itinerary something you can book or is it something you did with friends who had their own sailboat?

June 24, 2017 at 8:58 am (5 hours ago)

You can book it. Please see the details about the boat in the blog post.