There are a million reasons to travel to Tokyo. If you’ve read the title of my blog post, you’re probably wondering how I can distill them into just a few. I’ll give you a hint: I can’t. But I can tell you my three reasons to visit Tokyo.

Meiji Shrine, Tokyo

Reasons to Visit Tokyo

My trip to Tokyo has exceeded expectations. Despite having traveled here before, I’ve discovered so many new places to love. As you’re probably aware from my previous blog posts, I’ve come to Japan with the & TOKYO Project. They’ve sponsored a trip to allow me to focus on the city’s 5 core values: Unique&TOKYO, Excellent&TOKYO, Exciting&TOKYO, Delight&TOKYO, and Comfort&TOKYO. All of them play a role in the three facets of the city that have won me over.

Reversible Destiny Lofts MITAKA

Tokyo Architecture

The first of my reasons to visit Tokyo is the city’s architecture. This cutting-edge metropolis is at the forefront of contemporary style, something that’s evidenced in everything from its luxury boutiques to its five-star hotels. I see it in Herzog & de Meuron’s futuristic Prada Aoyama shop, Arakawa + Gins’ candy-colored “Reversible Destiny Lofts MITAKA -In Memory of Helen Keller-“, and in my sleek-meets-traditional new hotel, the HOSHINOYA Tokyo.

Prada Aoyama Shop, Tokyo

Tokyo Nature

The second of my reasons to visit Tokyo is the antithesis of the first: nature. Despite being a city where buildings abound, Tokyo has amazing havens of peace. From the tranquil towpath and temples of Setagaya’s Todoroki Valley to the 100,000-tree forest surrounding the Meiji Shrine, from the meandering paths in the garden of the Nezu Museum to the flower fields in the Hama-rikyu Gardens, Tokyo has an abundance of natural beauty to balance its urban core.

Todoroki Valley, Tokyo

Tokyo Streets

The third of my reasons to visit Tokyo is the contrasts in the city’s streets. Old-world Yanasen has its traditional homes and alleys full of market stalls. Bustling Omotesando is all shiny and modern. Jiyugaoka delights with a colorful mix of narrow streets and secret tearooms. Every neighborhood in Tokyo has its own personality, and I want to get to know them all.

Yanasen, Tokyo

There are so many more reasons to visit the capital of Japan, and everyone who goes has different motives for traveling. These are my three, and if you go I’m sure you’ll find yours.

Have you been? What are your reasons to visit Tokyo?

10 Comments on Lady’s 3 Reasons to Visit Tokyo

1. Ashley
    August 30, 2016 at 6:30 am (5 months ago)

I’ve been to Tokyo once in the winter and didn’t appreciate much of the beauty of the city as I was freezing cold half the time I was there. Definitely gonna have to go back soon!

August 30, 2016 at 8:18 am (5 months ago)

That’s too bad! My first trip to Tokyo was in the winter, too. I recommend going back again when it’s warmer. It’s such a lovely city to explore.

2. Noelle
    August 30, 2016 at 6:32 pm (5 months ago)

Oh I love Tokyo! I went a few times when I worked for Emirates but only got to see it 24 hours at a time, sigh. I’d love to go back one day πŸ™‚ Great tips on here!

August 30, 2016 at 7:24 pm (5 months ago)

Thanks, Noelle! I hope you get to go again for longer someday.

3. Nano B.
    September 1, 2016 at 1:33 am (5 months ago)

I currently live in Tokyo and couldn’t agree more with the reasons you listed. As a big food enthusiast I cannot help but add food to your list. With an abundance of local eateries and high-end restaurants, Tokyo is truly a culinary mecca. πŸ™‚ xoxo, nano

September 1, 2016 at 12:10 pm (5 months ago)

Good point! That’s so true. I had some amazing meals while I was there.

4. Stephanie
    September 2, 2016 at 4:33 pm (5 months ago)

I’ve never been there but Japan is one of my absolute-dream! Thank you for this great list!

September 2, 2016 at 7:43 pm (5 months ago)

You’re welcome! I hope you can visit sometime. It’s an amazing country.

5. Sasipim W.
    September 4, 2016 at 12:46 pm (5 months ago)

I’ve been to Tokyo twice and all I can say is that Japan is one of my all time favorite destination. I truly agree with all of your reasons. For me japanese food is one of the reason I always want to visit Japan. I really hope to go there soon! πŸ™‚

September 5, 2016 at 6:59 am (5 months ago)

That’s great! I agree about the food. I hope you can go again soon.