I’ve been visiting Glasgow my whole life. Having a Glaswegian grandmother meant my first trip outside the U.S. was to Scotland, and ensured that I’ve dipped in and out ever since. But for some reason I’m always doing just that: dipping in and out. One day here, one day there, and I never see enough. Which makes me all the more excited that I’ve finally booked 3 days in Glasgow to experience the city properly.

3 Days in Glasgow

Day 1 in Glasgow

I start my first day in Glasgow with a trip to one of the city’s most famous museums. The Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum is not only housed in a beautiful historic building, but also contains a wealth of Scottish art and design by the likes of the Glasgow Boys, Charles Rennie Mackintosh, and the Scottish Colourists. Their work gives me perspective on the city’s history and culture, and makes me excited to get out and explore.

Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum

From the Kelvingrove I walk up to the West End with my boyfriend to visit the Glasgow Botanic Gardens. The tulips paint the grounds with brilliant hues and the glass conservatories reveal exotic ferns and tropical plants as we go.

Glasgow Botanic Gardens

Afterwards we meander down busy Byres Road for lunch at Hanoi Bike Shop, a little restaurant tucked away off the main street in a mix of independent stores. Inside it’s like we’ve traveled to Vietnam, the air thick with scents of fresh cilantro and crunchy banh mi.

Hair Dryers, Glasgow

From there we walk down to the river and up to the city center. Along the way we pass by the Riverside Museum with its Zaha Hadid-designed sinuous curves. Next to it a historic Tall Ship sits stately on the water, welcoming visitors interested in learning about Glasgow’s rich shipbuilding history.

Riverside Museum, Glasgow

Once in the city center, we stop at the famous Willow Tea Rooms, taking in architect Charles Rennie Mackintosh’s interiors over a cuppa. He put Glasgow on the map in the late 19th and early 20th centuries with unique and beautiful designs that still endure today.

Willow Tea Rooms, Glasgow

Leaving the tea rooms, we head over to Merchant City. George Square is the heart of Glasgow, with its impressive Victorian buildings and statues paying homage to Scottish greats.

George Square, Glasgow

Nearby we come to the Glasgow Cathedral and adjacent Necropolis, where more of the city’s Victorian charm lies.

Necropolis, Glasgow

Monumental tombs, graves, and mausoleums vie for the title of Greatest Display of Narcissism, a tribute to the city’s 19th century industrial heyday when wealthy merchants weren’t afraid to pay homage to their own riches.

Necropolis, Glasgow

The sun setting, we walk back into Merchant City and catch a cab to the West End. We squeeze into the Wee Pub at the Chip on the celebrated nightlife alley that is Ashton Lane. It’s as tiny as the name suggests (it’s the smallest pub in Scotland), and also as sweet.

Ubiquitous Chip, Glasgow

Dinner is around the corner at the iconic Ubiquitous Chip restaurant. The dining room feels like a narrow greenhouse, what with the plants, fountains, and glass roof, and the food is as good as it’s reputed to be. We linger over dinner, mentally retracing the ground we’ve covered in a big first day in the city and planning day two as we go.

Ubiquitous Chip, Glasgow

Day 2 in Glasgow

The second of our 3 days in Glasgow is as busy as our first. We start by stumbling upon breakfast at a sweet little cafe called Singl End in Garnethill. With its bright blue metal chairs and breakfasts that come in skillets, it’s a winner.

Singl End, Glasgow

Afterwards we’re off on a tour of Mackintosh’s Glasgow with the Glasgow School of Art. It takes us all over the city center as we see the work of Mackintosh and his contemporaries and learn about the various styles that were popular at the turn of the 20th century—some of them pretty flamboyant!

Victorian Building, Glasgow

After the tour we walk over to the University of Glasgow, stopping for lunch at a cool cafe called Sonny & Vito’s for salads and tarts on the way. Once at the university we visit the Hunterian Museum, which along with the Kelvingrove is one of Glasgow’s most famous.

Hunterian Museum, Glasgow

The highlight is the museum’s art gallery, where we see more work from the Scottish Colourists and a collection of paintings by Whistler. Also there are the interiors of Mackintosh’s home, which are part of an amazing collection of his work.

University of Glasgow

Leaving the Hunterian, we travel to Finnieston for a drink with friends at Porter & Rye. The area is Glasgow’s trendiest, and there are lots of great bars and restaurants here. We have dinner over the road at Crabshakk, a seafood place redolent of buttery langoustines and flavorful bisque. It’s the perfect end to another great day in Glasgow.

Porter & Rye, Glasgow

Day 3 in Glasgow

The last of our 3 days in Glasgow starts early with another Glasgow School of Art tour. This one focuses on creative Glasgow and the modern and contemporary art and architecture scene in the city.

Centre for Contemporary Arts, Glasgow

We duck into cool spaces like the Centre for Contemporary Arts and explore the galleries south of George Square, learning about the city’s more recent artistic and design trends as we go.

Victorian Buildings, Glasgow

After the tour we hop in a taxi for lunch at Two Fat Ladies at The Buttery, another Glasgow institution. Cocooned in wood and tartan, we enjoy a seafood lunch to the sounds of classic crooners.

Two Fat Ladies at The Buttery, Glasgow

Lunch finished, we head out of the city center to Shawlands, an area popular with locals in Glasgow. There we find ourselves at a quirky coffee shop called Glad Cafe. It’s a nice introduction to a less visited part of the city, and a good way to end our long weekend in Glasgow.

Glad Cafe, Glasgow

3 Days in Glasgow

As we leave Scotland, I realize that while I thought three days would be sufficient to see Glasgow, it was only enough to show me how much more there is to discover. But rather than disappoint, it makes me excited to return and see what else Glasgow can reveal. Even if my family connections couldn’t draw me back, the city itself would.

Footbridge, Glasgow

Have you been to Glasgow? What are your favorite places in the city?

3 Days in Glasgow

28 Comments on Lady’s 3 Days in Glasgow

1. Frankie The Mayfairy
    May 5, 2016 at 6:14 am (12 months ago)

I mean to visit Scotland, and Glasgow, one day, I guess I should just bite the bullet and do it. The mausoleums look fascinating – LOL at “Greatest Display of Narcissism”! 🙂

May 5, 2016 at 7:40 am (12 months ago)

Haha, yeah, the Necropolis alone makes Glasgow worth visiting!

May 5, 2016 at 9:08 am (12 months ago)

Nice! Yeah, the Willow Tea Rooms are so lovely!

2. Marie @ To Europe And Beyond
    May 5, 2016 at 1:32 pm (12 months ago)

Yay! So glad you made it to the Botanical Gardens. Looks like the weather was cooperative, too!

May 6, 2016 at 10:54 am (12 months ago)

Yeah! I’m so glad I saw your blog post before I went.

3. Carmen's Luxury Travel
    May 5, 2016 at 11:24 pm (12 months ago)

Glasgow seems really interesting, and so different from Edinburgh. I’ll have to put it on my list, thanks for sharing 🙂

May 6, 2016 at 10:55 am (12 months ago)

Yeah, it’s a really different city. It’s worth visiting to see the contrast.

4. Susanne
    May 6, 2016 at 1:29 pm (12 months ago)

What a refreshingly diverse article about Glasgow that has made me really happy! As a Glaswegian I get so frustrated at travel bloggers writing about the same few places all the time when there is so much variety of things to do. Great to see that you also managed to the south-side as this is where I’m from and although you covered a lot, there is still so much more for you to see on you next visit 😉

May 6, 2016 at 1:59 pm (12 months ago)

Thanks! I’m glad you liked it. I was really happy to have been able to get around to more than just the usual sights. I will definitely be back to see more. Can’t wait!

5. Anabel @ The Glasgow Gallivanter
    May 6, 2016 at 3:52 pm (12 months ago)

I’m also a local and really like your diverse picture of Glasgow. If i didn’t live here already, it would definitely make me want to visit!

6. Heather @ Ferreting Out the Fun
    May 7, 2016 at 6:52 am (12 months ago)

I had a trip to Glasgow and Edinburgh planned for next week but had to cancel. Now I’m even more bummed – Glasgow looks so lovely in the spring!

May 7, 2016 at 6:24 pm (12 months ago)

That’s too bad! I hope you can go another time. You’ll love it there!

7. cDevlin
    May 7, 2016 at 11:46 am (12 months ago)

From a native of Glasgow who went to live in the Bay Area then came home Please visit our fair city. So much more than you have actually seen in this wonderful Blog.
    People Make Glasgow, and our people really are the greatest.

8. Angharad
    May 7, 2016 at 1:33 pm (12 months ago)

I really like Glasgow, I visited the city for the first time last year. I especially enjoyed the shops and restaurants on Byres Road. I purchased some nice gifts for my friends there!Lovely post. Angharad x

May 7, 2016 at 6:25 pm (12 months ago)

That’s great! I really liked Byres Road, too. So many shops and cafes there!

9. Rachel
    May 8, 2016 at 12:46 am (12 months ago)

This sounds so lovely! I’m hoping to visit Glasgow later this year!

10. Linzi
    May 8, 2016 at 12:23 pm (12 months ago)

This post brought back lovely memories of my home city – The Ubiquitous Chip is one of my favourite all-time restaurants and the Willow Tearooms is another must. The Rogano is also fantastic for seafood.

May 8, 2016 at 6:03 pm (12 months ago)

Nice! I will have to try the Rogano next time!

11. Kelly
    May 10, 2016 at 3:21 am (12 months ago)

This looks like an absolutely amazing place, I will have to add it to my list!

xx Kelly

May 10, 2016 at 8:28 am (12 months ago)

Yeah! It’s a great place to have on your list.

12. Nancy Wilde
    May 11, 2016 at 1:49 am (12 months ago)

I love Glasgow with a passion – if I ever get tired of Dublin, that’s where I’ll move to! I miss Ashton Lane and the eerily beautiful Necropolis. And the people are the friendliest ever 🙂

May 11, 2016 at 9:33 am (12 months ago)

Yeah, I love how friendly people are there! I can see why you would want to move to the city.

13. Stephanie
    May 12, 2016 at 3:57 am (12 months ago)

Heading to Glasgow for the first time in a couple of weeks and I had no clue where to even start. Definitely bookmarking this list, thanks 🙂

May 12, 2016 at 6:43 am (12 months ago)

You’re welcome! I’m glad you found it helpful. Have a great trip!