For the last two years I’ve written blog posts about where not to travel in the new year. They received such overwhelming responses that it’s now an annual tradition. So here’s A Lady in London’s guide to where not to travel in 2017. If you know what’s good for you, you’ll avoid these 9 destinations next year.

Where Not to Travel in 2017

The Eurozone

2017 marks the 15th anniversary of the launch of the physical euro currency in Europe. On January 1, 2002 new coins and notes started making their way around the Eurozone, ending the joyful travel experience of having to change money at every border crossing.

Paris Rooftops

I don’t know about you, but I loved the good old days of paying exorbitant exchange rates and ending up with pockets full of random coins every time I flew home. Let’s not support the single currency next year.

India

India is another travel destination to avoid in the new year. The country is celebrating 70 years of independence in 2017, which probably means big celebrations like the ones they put on for Holi and Diwali. And what a pain that will be for travelers. I don’t know about you, but I like my trips to be bland and beige.

Camel in Pushkar

Plus, as an American I’m a strong supporter of British colonialism. My country fought a war to stay loyal to George III when he attempted to get rid of us by hiking taxes on tea (the cheek!). We lost that one, and things haven’t been the same since.

The Balkans

Another region to steer clear of next year is the Balkans. In 2017, the 1,200-mile (1900-km) Via Dinarica hiking trail will be completely mapped with detailed stage information. The trail crosses the Dinaric Alps and runs through Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Montenegro, Albania, Serbia, Kosovo, and Macedonia.

Split, Croatia

I’ve been to these countries, and I have to say you should give them a pass. After all, who likes stunning mountains, beautiful beaches, delicious food, and fascinating history? Certainly not people who like to travel.

Canada

Oh, Canada. I’m not sure I need to tell you to avoid the 51st state next year, but in case you’re planning to help Canada celebrate its sesquicentennial in 2017, I will advise against it.

Sleigh Ride, Lake Louise

Trust me, I’ve been there. There’s tons of snow in the winter so I have to ski all the time. Plus, Vancouver keeps stealing my home city of San Francisco’s title of coolest place on the west coast, which just isn’t polite.

Russia

Next year will mark the 100th anniversary of the Russian Revolution. Which is too bad, because I kinda liked the heady days of Peter and Catherine, Alexander and Nicholas. And Russian literature got really boring after the golden age of Tolstoy (One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich was one day too many).

Church in Russia

But perhaps our good friend Putin will bring back those glory days of autocracy. And with the Kremlin complex increasing visitor access, Russia might be off my blacklist in 2018.

Marrakech

I’ve always disliked Marrakech, so I’m happy to be able to put it on my list of where not to travel in 2017. The colors, sights, scents, and flavors of the medina fly in the face of my anti-sensory travel style. And with the autumn opening of the new MusΓ©e Yves Saint Laurent Marrakech the city is set to get a lot brighter with the designer’s garments, sketches, and photos strewn about.

Rosebuds in Marrakech

So let’s skip it, shall we? I know a nice part of Siberia that’s far more pleasing. Oh wait, we’re boycotting Russia, too…

Scotland

Closer to home, I’m sorry to say that there are a lot of British destinations to stay away from next year. 2017 marks the 70th anniversary of the Edinburgh Festivals, which have been responsible for bringing vile acts of comedy and theater to our stages and screens for far too long.

Palace in Edinburgh

So please join me in saying no to Scotland. Let’s not support the festivals that spawned Tom Stoppard’s forgettable Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead and helped launch the careers of boring people like Rowan Atkinson, Billy Connolly, Ben Elton, and Eddie Izzard.

England

Elsewhere in the UK, next year marks the 200th anniversary of Jane Austen’s death. I’m sure you’ve never heard of her, but she wrote a few books that some people think are ok.

So don’t bother visiting her house in Chawton. She wrote duds like Emma, Mansfield Park, and Persuasion there, so it will probably give you writer’s block. Trust me, I went a few years ago and it’s not like it was really pretty or anything.

Jane Austen House, Chawton

It pains me to add another place to the list, but I don’t think you should visit London next year. Among other reasons, 2017 marks the 125th anniversary of the first Sherlock Holmes publication. Given he was a private detective, you may find your skeletons being forced out of the closet if you venture to come here.

So if you don’t have a squeaky clean record, take my advice and avoid 221B Baker Street in the new year.

Germany

Last but not least, Germany is a no-go zone. 2017 marks the 500-year anniversary of the Protestant Reformation. It came at a bad time, because my ancestors were really hoping to buy a few papal indulgences before Martin Luther came along and screwed everything up.

Church in Berlin, Germany

So avoid the exhibition on the Reformation at Berlin’s Martin-Gropius-Bau, and turn your back on the much-anticipated grand opening of Hamburg’s Elbphilharmonie concert hall complex. We wouldn’t want people to think we visited a country that brought about much-needed religious reform, would we?

How about you? What destinations would you include on a list of where not to travel in 2017?

Where Not to Travel in 2017

28 Comments on Where Not to Travel in 2017

1. Milan Michael
    November 30, 2016 at 10:06 am (3 months ago)

Informative and quite useful!

2. Emily
    November 30, 2016 at 10:24 am (3 months ago)

Haha I love this! I want to go to so many places on here, mainly India and the rest of The Balkans after I fell in love with Croatia and Slovenia this year,

November 30, 2016 at 11:03 am (3 months ago)

Thanks! Yeah, the Balkans are amazing.

3. Mike
    November 30, 2016 at 10:34 am (3 months ago)

I will play along and say that Germany, Austria and Switzerland would be must avoids. πŸ™‚

4. L.A.P.
    November 30, 2016 at 12:46 pm (3 months ago)

Well, Poland is another no-go zone in 2017. The beauty of old architecture in Krakow, Poznan or Wroclaw is just too much to bear:-)

5. Noelle
    November 30, 2016 at 4:06 pm (3 months ago)

I totally braced myself for this being an actual list of where not to good – and then started reading a cracked up!! Great post πŸ˜€

6. Roua
    November 30, 2016 at 8:11 pm (3 months ago)

I think you should definitely NOT go to Georgia (the European country). I mean beautiful mountains and breathtaking nature are just too overrated!

December 1, 2016 at 10:09 am (3 months ago)

Good advice! I’ve heard that about Georgia, so will make sure to stay away :).

7. Stephanie
    December 1, 2016 at 3:01 pm (3 months ago)

Ahaha I love that! Unfortunately, some of those countries are on my list for next year ahaha! I’m such a rebel!

8. Londoneya
    December 1, 2016 at 8:49 pm (3 months ago)

Haha! You actually had me fooled for a while there until I thought: Wait, hold on! These places are pretty amazing!

December 2, 2016 at 8:45 am (3 months ago)

Haha, yeah, they’re good places to go next year :).

9. Mima Isono
    December 2, 2016 at 2:59 am (3 months ago)

I’ll note all the countries to avoid. Oh we obviously should stay away from Japan too. None like to be lost in translation in all manners (even GPS is in Japanese kanji)

10. Pedro @travelwithpedro
    December 10, 2016 at 4:01 pm (3 months ago)

I love this series! And when it comes to Russia, I must agree: don’t come here (I’m in St Petersburg as I write this). There’s too much culture, too much grand architecture, too many world-class museums, winter is cold and achingly beautiful, and it’s not expensive now. So, avoid Russia! πŸ˜€

11. Heather @ Ferreting Out the Fun
    January 6, 2017 at 2:57 am (2 months ago)

I’d add Finland to the list. It’s celebrating 100 years of independence in 2017 and the celebrations will be too over the top. Who wants special limited-edition Marimekko prints anyway?

12. Little My
    January 6, 2017 at 10:07 pm (2 months ago)

Noted that among the countries mentioned above is Taiwan not included. Also that among the countries you have travelled to in Asia I see no Taiwan. I can totally understand that you have tried very hard to avoid Taiwan since the lively night markets, people, mountains, sea and many special local elements just can only be experienced when you first are there, will just make you too welcomed to visit Taiwan. πŸ™‚

Many greetings from a Taiwanese who loves reading your blog

January 8, 2017 at 5:45 pm (2 months ago)

Thanks! I would love to visit Taiwan someday!

13. Laurie Sears Deppa
    January 7, 2017 at 4:17 pm (2 months ago)

Thank you for the fun list, I am not going to Indonesia, Amsterdam, Costa Rica, Israel, Jordan, Spain and Portugal this year 😳 Terrible places to go… would love to touch base with you. I too, am a travel blogger – I travel with my 5-year old (who’s been to 23 countries thus far). If you’re ever in the Washington DC area, look us up – we have hosted hundreds in our home. We live in such a great area – DC is 30 minutes, Baltimore 30 minutes, Philadelphia 2 hours, etc.
    It’s so fun getting to know people all over the world. Find me on Facebook if you like… cheers, Laurie